Expeditions help fuel a passion for mountaineering, both for those who undertake what is often a lifetime’s dream, and the people they inspire on their return.
Helping to facilitate expeditions is therefore an important part of the MCSA’s work. Members can make use of the following Club resources:
- The Cape Town Section’s Expedition Fund – money set aside for the promotion of international mountaineering in remote locations
- A network of experienced, well-travelled climbers and mountaineers
- An extensive library of mountain literature, at the Cape Town Section’s Clubhouse
- Endorsement of your expedition by this well-established and credible national Club
- Certain equipment, including tents, ice axes, avalanche transceivers, ice screws, ice stakes and similar
Expedition Fund (Cape Town Section) – Guidelines for Applications
These guidelines are intended for use by the MCSA-CT Expeditions sub-committee or by the applicant.
The Expedition Fund is money that the Cape Town Section has set aside for the promotion of mountaineering. The word “Expedition” is understood to mean a major mountaineering undertaking that probably takes place beyond the borders of the country. The Section sees mountaineering in its broadest context, as comprising hiking, sport-climbing, competition-climbing, traditional rock-climbing, snow and ice climbing and Alpine climbing or any combination of these activities.
When considering applications, the sub-committee will consider the following points:
- The proposed Expedition has the potential to have significance in local mountaineering.
- The Expedition has the potential to bring credit to the Club.
- The applicant(s) can demonstrate previous experience or potential in the particular area.
- The Expedition has a training or experience-gaining element to it.
- The applicant(s) present financial position(s) will be considered.
Rules for Application:
- The applicant(s) must be members of the Cape Town Section of at least two years’ good standing. (This includes Family members.)
- All annual subscription fees (if applicable) must be up to date.
- Only well presented, written applications, that consist of a motivational letter and a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae for each participant, will be considered.
- The sub-committee’s decision on the application will be final and binding.
- The applicant(s) may apply for funding any number of times as long as they are for separate expeditions.
- The sub-committee may, at its discretion, insist on any other criteria before funding is granted.
The aim of these criteria are not to hamper the application but rather to ensure that the Club gains feedback and benefit from helping to fund the expedition.
More information can be found in these downloadable PDFs: