A trad exchange meet with the American Alpine Club is being organised in 2017, following on from the success of the 2016 MCSA-BMC trad exchange.
A group of America’s best trad climbing talent will be visiting us here, and a South African team will travel to the USA later in the year around September 2017.
Young, enthusiastic members of the South African trad climbing community are invited to apply to participate. A team will be selected based on applications received by 6 Feb 2017. Any additional places will be filled by late submissions.
Overview of SA leg: 14 – 28 March 2017
- The structure will be similar to the 2016 MCSA-BMC (British Mountaineering Council) trad exchange.
- 10 AAC climbers will visit SA for two weeks in March to be hosted and climb with a core team of 10 MCSA climbers plus any other local climbers who want to tag along for the ride.
- The MCSA team will be selected based on:
- Their commitment to the event (able to take 2 weeks leave in March)
- Climbing merit (particularly onsight ability)
- Trad experience or potential to develop as a trad climber (you will need to know what nuts and cams are)
- Potential to contribute to the event (hosting, driving, telling jokes, eye candy etc.)
- Being an MCSA member
- Youth (we will accept climbers of any age but definitely want to encourage some younger climbers to take part e.g. low to mid-twenties)
- Additional local climbers not selected for the event are encouraged to join for sections of the event.
- Depending on funds raised we hope to cover most of the team members’ expenses and will aim to organise food, travel and accommodation. Others will have to cover their own costs and organise themselves.
- Climbing destinations still need to be finalised but will include Table Mountain, Du Toits Kloof (Yellowwood, Hellfire, etc.), Blouberg, Magaliesberg. (Unfortunately the Cederberg may no longer be an option because of the recent fires.)
- Likely itinerary (subject to change): Cape 14 to ~20 March, Gauteng ~20 to 28 March.
Overview of US leg
- Details are fuzzy at this stage
- At some point later this year or early next year, 10 MCSA climbers will visit the US for ~2 weeks to be hosted and climb with the AAC team.
- All food, transport and accommodation expenses while in the US should be covered (depending on funds available).
- Most team members will need to buy their own flights to the US. Depending on funds raised we hope to subsidise the cost of ~3 flights based on financial need, youth and potential of the climber.
- The MCSA core team from the SA leg will be given preference to go to the States.
- For those who are not selected for the SA core team in March but would still like to go to the States, participation in the local event will count favourably for their selection to travel to the US.